Are you a new NAACP Parents’ Council representative? Welcome! Briefly put, you will be asked to:
- attend our monthly meetings (See Meeting Calendar Dates below) If you are unable to attend, please send someone else so your school is represented.
- share important information from the Parents’ Council with your school community through email lists, phone calls, etc.
- plan/support outreach events/activities at your school
- be a member of the NAACP.
Are you returning next year as an NAACP Parents’ Council representative? Please inform your principal so that you may be added to our roster.
Our first meeting will be held on August 23, 2018 at 6:30 pm at CESC in Rockville, MD.
Save the Date: BOE Candidate Forum before the General Election at CESC in Rockville, Wednesday, September 26, 2018. More information coming soon….
Stay tuned for more information. Feel free to visit the pages of our website and view the PC rep Handbook. Thanks for your work and see you in August!
View our Slideshow (below) from the NAACP-MCPS Annual Kick Off held in Fall 2017.
Join the NAACP! Click here
We are celebrating over 20 years of service! Formation of the Parents’ Council of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)came about as an outgrowth of ideas put forth during the 1995 and 1996 NAACP Youth Summits. The Parents’ Council is one of the vehicles created to empower African American and other minority parents to take a more pro-active role in the education of their children. The purpose of the Parents’ Council is to provide a forum through which interested citizens may offer assistance, guidance, and support to African American parents and students of Montgomery County (Maryland) Public Schools (MCPS) to pursue the highest quality education possible through encouragement, information sharing, positive motivation, critical evaluation and advocacy.
Join our email listserve: firstname.lastname@example.org
Byron Johns, Co-Chair, email: email@example.com
Angela Jones, Co-Chair, email: Angelajones0525@gmail.com
Pat Price, Communications Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
Patricia Williams, Advisor, Past Chair
Wanda Brown, Advisor, Past Chair, Email contact : email@example.com
Soffie Ceesay, Programs
Sharon Mosley-Ramsey, Webmaster
Sabrina McMillian, Special Projects, Advocacy, College Advisor
Ericka Boone, former MCPS parent, NAACP Scholarship Committee
Andre Johnson, MCPS parent, Cluster representative
Laura Dennis, MCPS parent
Back to School Night Resource Ideas- check August 2017 page
Parents’ Council representatives should set up a table to greet parents at his/her Back to School Night. Some suggestions for handouts include:
- MCPS At A Glance for your School (This document will give a brief look into your school’s demographics)
- Flyers for Upcoming meetings at your school
- Sign In Sheet for parents to sign up for your school level Parents’ Council (Collect names and email addresses)
- Survey sheet to take comments from parents on the requests for Meeting Topics