An impressive turnout of new and returning school representatives attended our August 25th meeting at CESC. School representatives began the meeting with a People Bingo warmup activity which served as a way to get people up and moving! Below are a few highlights from our meeting.
- Reps were reminded to support Dads, Take your Child to School Day on Sept. 30, 2016.
- Dr. Jonathan Brice, MCPS Associate Superintendent, Office of Student and Family Support and Engagement, visited briefly to welcome the reps and introduce himself to the group. His number is 240-453-2426.
- Angela Jones- Parents’ Council Co-Chair walked our school representatives through the Parents’ Council Handbook. This document will help reps to familiarize themselves with their roles and responsibilities.
- Board of Education President, Mike Durso also visited briefly to say hello to the audience.
- Our Parents’ Council Advisor, Wanda Brown shared tips and recommendations for reaching out to African American parents at their school’s Back to School Night.
- Cluster Time was held to allow school representatives to get into smaller groups to ask questions and share concerns. Cluster groups are encouraged to stay in touch with each other in efforts share best practices on being an effective school representative.
- Our Parents’ Council Communications Chair, Pat Price, shared the protocol for Addressing Parent Concerns.