Our November meeting entitled, “Are we there yet? Measuring and Monitoring Student Success” was held on Nov. 14th. Below is a recap of this informative session.
- MCPS Personnel Mr. Scott Murphy, OCIP (Office of Curriculum and Instruction Programs), Ms. Kecia Addison, OSA (Office of Shared Accountability) Mike Bayewitz, OSSI (Office of School Support and Improvment) and Siobhan Alexander Director, Elementary Integrated Curriculum Team, shared information about the Evidence of Learning. This presentation also highlights the cross-office effort of measuring student progress. Please visit the website below for more information related to “The Learning Journey.”
- Melanie Knight, MCPS- Assistant Principal, facilitated a discussion on the Evidence of Learning. Melanie is an MCPS Administrator with lots of experience related to this important topic.
- Chiquita Battle, a PC representative did an excellent job motivating other PC reps to stay in the fight and never give up when it comes to being an advocate for our youth and other parents. Ms. Battle discussed her work with Dads Take Your Child to School Day which was a huge success at her school. Ms. Battle and her husband received a Proclamation from Ike Leggett and a Citation from Governor Hogan for their work in organizing this event.
- Parents’Council representatives were encouraged to share the successes and challenges from their buildings at future meetings.
- The NAACP Parents’ Council Handbook lists an Activity Report located on page 28. PC reps are reminded to use this as a tool to list activities or events they may have hosted.